Welcome to travel the world with Meriharakat (Finnish word for oystercatchers)! We are a senior couple who love to travel with a special interest in collecting countries. The number of countries for both of us is already over 140 – and stories from all of them can be read in out blog (but mostly in Finnish only).
We explore the whole world, preferably visiting new countries, but for shorter trips Europe is our favourite. Finland is our scenery in the summer: it is green and beautiful – and not too hot!
In Finland we also visit interesting art exhibitions and enjoy an occasional play in the local theatres, sharing the experiences with our readers.
We are the only Finnish travel blog specializing in collecting countries. We offer basic information related to the subject for Finnish readers and, of course, keep them updated on our own achievements!
- Unique readers in H1/2021: 47 385, 2020: 68 988, page loads 165 793
- Female readers: 64 %
- Biggest age groups: 65+ (24%), but we also reach other groups in 25+ ranges
- Meriharakka on Facebook end of Q1/2021: 2 631, end of 2020: 2 462
- Meriharakka on Twitter end of Q1/2021: 2356, end of 2020: 2 386
- Meriharakka on Instagram end of Q1/2021: 10 109, end of 2020: 10 212
Numbers (unique readers) in 2020 were affected by COVID-19, being – 2% from 2019.
Most recent collaborations
- Trips to Åland Islands in co-operation with Visit Åland and Tallink Silja
- Hotel Kakola in Turku
- Calliola in Snappertuna, Raasepori
- Nolla Cabin in Keilaniemi, Espoo
- Bear watching in Nurmes in collaboration with local tourist organizations
- Trip to Tampere with Visit Tampere
- Trip to Stuttgart covering Stuttgart and Stuttgart Airport in collaboration with relevant parties
- covering a number of hotels, art exhibitions, plays and books
Our most popular posts
See the following article for most popular articles in 2020 (in Finnish, but you’ll get the idea):
and for first half in 2021:
The World Map, which helps readers to find our stories by countries is also one of our most popular pages, as is our at least quarterly listing of our travel plans. Also costs of our trips is a topic which people are always curious about!
Together and competing
In 2017 we were selected as one of the Top 10 Travel Blogs in Finland by Cision after being listed as one of the challengers already in 2015. Since 2017 the Top 10 Travel Blogs have not been selected by Cision.
We are slightly famous in Finland regarding our interest in travelling, especially when we visit less common countries like Saudi-Arabia during 2017. We have given interviews to Helsingin Sanomat (the biggest newspaper in Finland) several times and have appeared in a number of different magazines, both as the object of the story or telling the story ourselves as writer/photographer.
Last year, 2019, Iltasanomat wrote two stories about our travels: Us completing all of the 7 new wonders of the world and a summary of our most expensive and cheap travels. We also appeared once again in the Finnish television.
Would you like us to tell your story?
We are always open for new ideas of collaboration – if you work within travel industry or are otherwise interested in our travels or us as story tellers, please be in touch!
A couple of stories in English
Even if the majority of our blog is in Finnish, we have written a couple of stories also in English, being:
Our story about Örö island is written both in Finnish and Swedish as Swedish is used a lot in that area of Finland.
So occasionally we can write a story also in other languages than Finnish, if needed.