Welcome to travel the world with Meriharakat (Finnish word for oystercatchers)! We are a senior couple who love to travel with a special interest in collecting countries. The number of countries for both of us is already over 120 – and stories from all of them can be read in out blog (but mostly in Finnish only).
We explore the whole world, preferably visiting new countries, but for shorter trips Europe is our favourite. Finland is our scenery in the summer: it is green and beautiful – and not too hot!
In Finland we also visit interesting art exhibitions and enjoy an occasional play in the local theatres, sharing the experiences with our readers.
We are the only Finnish travel blog specializing in collecting countries. We offer basic information related to the subject for Finnish readers and, of course, keep them updated on our own achievements!
Together and competing
In 2017 we were selected as one of the Top 10 Travel Blogs in Finland by Cision after being listed as one of the challengers already in 2015. In 2018 the Top 10 Travel Blogs were not selected by Cision.
Brandsome, which follows also blogs in Social Media listed us as number 43 for all blogs (not only Travel Blogs) and Blogit.fi, a Finnish service providing feeds from most blogs in Finland, listed us as number 1 for travel blogs at the end of 2018.
Our most popular posts
During 2018 our readers loved these stories offering information on obtaining a second passport, Tunis and travelling to St Petersburg:
Older post still going strong include advice for packing, helping people to plan their trip to Lofoten Islands and travelling to Morocco with TSS Travel Services Scandinavia:
- Unique readers (for 2018) 74 524
- Page loads (for 2018) 197 971
- Female readers: 69 %
- Biggest age groups: 25-34 (27%), 35-44 (21%) but we also reach 55+ audience (24%)
- Meriharakka on Facebook 1668 (end of 2018)
- Meriharakka on Twitter 2 615 (end of 2018)
- Meriharakka on Instagram 11 010 (end of 2018)
Most recent collaborations
- Kotka and Hamina area blogger trip
- sharing our cruising experiences in Hawaii and Indian Ocean as agreed with local agents (Risteilykeskus, Loistoristeilyt)
- sharing our experiences of a road trip on Gotland as agreed with Autoeurope
- covering a number of Finnish cities as agreed with their respective Visit-organizations, for example: Tampere ja Mänttä, Ahvenanmaa, Naantali ja Lohja
- covering a number of hotels, art exhibitions and plays
- promoting Bank Norwegian Visa (which we really love!)
Would you like us to tell your story?
We are always open for new ideas of collaboration – if you work within travel industry or are otherwise interested in our travels or us as story tellers, please be in touch!
We are slightly famous in Finland regarding our interest in travelling, especially when we visit less common countries like Saudi-Arabia during 2017. We have given interviews to Helsingin Sanomat (the biggest newspaper in Finland) several times and have appeared in a number of different magazines, both as the object of the story or telling the story ourselves as writer/photographer.
We have also made appearances on the Finnish television several times promoting collecting countries as travel niche.
A couple of stories in English
Even if the majority of our blog is in Finnish, we have written a couple of stories also in English, being:
Our story about Örö island is written both in Finnish and Swedish as Swedish is used a lot in that area of Finland.
So occasionally we can write a story also in other languages than Finnish, if needed.